Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Tombstone Epitaph

Back in my days as a graduate student at the University of Arizona, I worked one summer as the editor for the local edition of the Tombstone Epitaph.

It was during that time that I fell in love with Cochise County, Arizona's most southeastern county. Other parts of Arizona get the most travel press -- Sedona, the Grand Canyon, the resorts of Scottsdale -- but Cochise County is my favorite, quiet nook.

And Tombstone is my favorite Arizona town.

OK, there are a lot of tourist-oriented goings on what with reenactments of the shootout at the OK Corral, for example. But the people, the historic buildings, and the star-studded skies -- well, I could easily call this town home.

An insider hint for first-time visitors: The shootout at the OK Corral did not happen inside the corral itself but on the street outside the corral.

Now you know.

Happy travels, Joyce

No comments:

Post a Comment