Thursday, March 11, 2010
1. Chichen Itza: a full day excursion to the most famous Mayan
archaeological zone is a must do.
2. Uxmal: the second most famous Mayan zone, and we think the most beautiful.
3. Merida Mercado: you haven’t immersed until you’ve been here.
4. Hacienda Temozon: go early, have breakfast, learn about the history
of the haciendas in Yucatan.
5. Izamal: the yellow city built on Mayan ruins and home to the
important Mayan prophet Itzam’na.
6. Celestun: biological reserve on the Gulf of Mexico, with a boat
ride through mangroves to see the flamingos. End the day with a plate
7. Castro Pacheco murals: in the Governor’s Palace on the main plaza.
8. Merida House and Garden Tour: you’ll be amazed at what you find
inside these old colonial homes.
9. Weekend in Tulum: our favorite piece of Caribbean paradise and the
location of the third most important Mayan archaeological zone.
10: Gran Plaza: just a big shopping mall, but a good way to see hip
Yucatecos behaving like Norte Americanos. It helps you ease back into
the modern world before your return to the States. Buy a t-shirt at
Mayan Xic and drop crumbs on it at Kukis.
Nos vemos pronto, Joyce